The head of the National Cyber and Information Security Service (NÚKIB)
has denied that his agency shared its findings on a recent cyberattack
against the Foreign Ministry with the Senate Committee for Defence and
Last week that committee said a “foreign state power” had hacked into the ministry’s computer network, citing information from the NÚKIB, and called for more resources to be allocated to cyber security.
Prime Minister Andrej Babiš (ANO) at the weekend had criticized the agency for informing the Senate of the situation but no members of the government. At a National Security Council meeting on Monday, NÚKIB director Dušan Navrátil denied that was the case.
An attack on the computers of the Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs was
most likely carried out by another state, according to the National Cyber
and Information Security Service. The agency informed the Senate’s
Committee for Defence and Security of its findings and on Tuesday committee
members called on the government to ensure that the National Cyber and
Information Security Service devoted all the necessary attention and
resources to the issue.
Deník N reported that a cyber-attack on the Czech Foreign Ministry carried out in June was most probably the work of Russia’s military intelligence service, the GRU. The news website said this had been confirmed to it by a number of very well placed sources.
The Russian embassy in Prague has criticized the reaction of the Czech
Foreign Ministry to the weekend police crack-down against demonstrators in
On its Facebook page, the embassy called on Czech officials to refrain from adopting a "selective and biased" stand to human rights issues, noting that Prague showed no such concern with regard to crack-downs on demonstrations in the US, Great Britain or France.
The Czech Foreign Ministry said on Sunday that it was concerned by the mass arrests of peaceful protesters in Moscow and urged the Russian authorities to respect fundamental human rights.
Riot police in the Russian capital arrested some 600 people on Saturday in an attempt to suppress a protest rally that had been banned by authorities. It was the latest in a series of protests, triggered by a refusal to let opposition candidates stand in Russia’s parliamentary elections.
Czech President Miloš Zeman offered his condolences to his US counterpart
Donald Trump on Monday, following two mass shootings in Texas and Ohio this
weekend which left 29 people dead and at least 50 injured.
The Czech head of state called the attacks “brutal killings, which are nothing less than mass murder.”
Foreign Minister Tomáš Petříček has also expressed his heartfelt condolences to the families of those killed and injured. According to the Czech Foreign Ministry, there are no Czechs among the victims of the shootings.
The Chinese Embassy's press spokesman says that information about its
cooperation with companies is "completely unfounded and fictional,
spreading false alarm and slander that damages Chinese reputation".
The statement was sent to media outlets in the country.
The statement was most likely made in response to a recent report by Czech Radio's Radiožurnál investigative team earlier this week, which quoted former Huawei employees. According to these anonymous sources the company collected sensitive data on its customers, which was then in some casses discussed at the Chinese Embassy.
Foreign Minister Tomáš Petříček iodf the Social Democratic party said
he was ready to resign, following the meeting of top officials at the Lány
Chateau on Thursday concerning the replacement of Culture Minister Antonín
Mr. Petříček told the Czech News Agency he was disappointed by the outcome of the meeting between President Miloš Zeman, Prime Minister Antonín Babiš and Deputy Prime Minister Jan Hamáček, adding that he didn’t see many possibilities for the Social Democrats to remain in the government.
His party colleague, Minister of Labour and Social Affairs Jana Maláčová, wrote on her Facebook account that if the Constitution and the coalition agreement were violated, Social Democrat ministers were ready to resign.
The European Parliament elected its leadership on Wednesday and two Czech MEPs – Dita Charanzová from the Liberals group and Marcel Kolaja from the Greens –were elected vice-president. I asked Libor Rouček, himself a former vice-president of the European Parliament, whether he considers this a significant success for a country the size of the Czech Republic.
Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš has hailed the EU compromise on nominations for the bloc’s top jobs as a big success for the Visegrad Four grouping which fiercely opposed the system of Spitzen candidates and particularly the candidacy of Frans Timmermans for EC president. But, while the prime minister is cheering, there have been mixed reactions from Czech MEPs, some of whom have criticized the fact that the deal reached does not reflect the outcome of elections to the European Parliament.
Beijing ends agreement with Prague – but can spat harm Czech capital?
Czechs observe day of mourning for pop idol Karel Gott
Czechia now ahead of Spain in GDP per capita, but still below EU average
Thousands pay tribute to deceased national pop icon Karel Gott
In memoriam: Karel Gott, the ‘Bohemian nightingale’