The Prague Municipal Court has upheld a ban by Prague City Hall on a planned march by right-wing extremists through the Prague Castle complex. The court did so by rejecting a complaint put forward by right-wing activists. The decision was taken on formal grounds: a missing signature and stamp in the complaint. The extremists originally hoped to march through the city's historic quarter on November 10th - the anniversary of the Nazi pogrom known as Kristallnacht against Jews in Germany in 1938, but reported eight possible alternative routes for their march earlier this week. All have been blocked by City Hall. The organisers have claimed their march was to protest against the Czech military presence in Iraq. Jewish organisations have protested, saying the march was a provocation and an insult.
In Business News: Russia wants to buy both Czech Airlines and Prague Airport; the Czech Republic has one of the lowest shares of women in part-time jobs in the EU; Czech textile makers sign a copyright agreement with their Chinese counterparts; a new free newspaper will target business people; and a British TV ad for the Skoda Fabia wins industry awards.
A group of neo-Nazi extremists who have been barred from holding a march through Prague's Jewish Quarter say they will break the law and go ahead with it anyway, if they do not receive permission to march on an alternative route. The far-right Young National Democrats lost a legal battle to march through the Jewish Quarter on November 10, the anniversary of the Kristallnacht Nazi pogrom of 1938. In a statement on their website, the group said the Prague Town Hall had this week refused to grant them permission to march on eight other routes.
Prague City Hall says it is determined to prevent a march by right-wing extremists through Prague's Jewish quarter on November 10th, the anniversary of Kristallnacht, the Nazi pogrom on Jews in 1938. In the past 24 hours right-wing extremists have announced eight marches along eight different routes and the city hall has banned them all. The planned march, the pretext of which is opposition to Czech involvement in the occupation of Iraq, has raised a great deal of criticism from leading politicians, Jewish organizations and members of the public.
A group of far-right activists insists on marching through Prague's Jewish Quarter on November 10, the anniversary of the anti-Jewish Nazi pogrom of 1938, known as Kristallnacht. The pretext for the march is a protest against Czech involvement in the occupation of Iraq. Prague City Hall had previously tried to ban the march but a court ruled that the ban was poorly justified. Last week, the local authorities said that the announcement of the march was not valid due to formal errors and the planned venue for the march was immediately booked by a Prague Jewish community for commemorative gathering.
In this edition of Czech Books we introduce a completely new piece of Czech writing. A couple of years ago in this programme we featured the Romany writer Ilona Ferkova, one of a handful of authors in this country writing in the Romani language, traditionally spoken by Roma across Europe. When I first met Ilona and her family at their home in the West Bohemian town of Rokycany, they had recently returned from Britain. At the end of the 1990s they had been among the many Czech Romany families, who had gone there to seek asylum. They spent four years
The Prague Town Hall says a planned march through the city's Jewish Quarter by neo-Nazi extremists should not go ahead, as an announcement filed by its organisers is invalid. The group which announced it was holding the procession, Mladi narodni demokrate (Young National Democrats), was not legally registered when the declaration was made, Prague Town Hall spokesman Jiri Wolf told journalists on Friday. The march is planned for Saturday November 10, the anniversary of the Kristallnacht Nazi pogrom of 1938. Jewish groups and politicians at both national and local level have called for it to be banned. However, two Town Hall injunctions against the march were found to be unlawful in court.
After a great deal of legal toing and froing, a march by neo-Nazis through Prague's historic Jewish Quarter now looks set to go ahead on November 10, the anniversary of the Kristallnacht pogrom of 1938. But there is some resistance: the Prague Town Hall has renewed its efforts to block the demonstration, the Jewish Community is organizing a counter-event, and the Czech president no less has called for it to be stopped.
The Prague Municipal Court has struck down a city hall ban on a planned neo-Nazi march through the city's historic Jewish quarter. The march has been set to take place on November 10th, the anniversary of Kristallnacht - a notorious Nazi pogrom against Jews in Germany in 1938. It is the second time the court has ruled in the favour of the right-wing extremists, making it likely the march will now take place. In its ruling the court cited serious procedural errors on the part of the city in its attempt to ban the planned event. According to reports, both sides in the case will receive written statements from the court on Wednesday. Prague City Hall has said it is not giving up the fight and will take further steps to prevent the march taking place.
Why Chinese masks destined for Italy were seized (not ‘stolen’) by Czech authorities
Economist Tomáš Sedláček: A positive look at the coronavirus crisis
How is coronavirus affecting Prague’s real estate market?
Fall in coronavirus reproduction number shows efficacy of strict measures
March 25, 1945 – the day the Americans bombed Prague deliberately