In a landmark verdict, the European Court of Human Rights has ruled that the Czech Republic violated the rights of Roma children by placing them in so-called special schools for children with learning difficulties. The state has been ordered to pay the 18 families who took the case 4,000 euros each in compensation. Meanwhile, Roma rights campaigners are calling on the Czech Republic to adopt positive measures to address the segregation that still exists, despite changes to the law.
The European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg has ruled that the Czech Republic discriminated against 18 Romany children by forcing them to attend special schools. The state will have to pay each of them 108, 000 crowns (4,000 euros) in compensation. The verdict overturns an earlier ruling according to which the Roma families had no cause for complaint since these special schools were also attended by non-Roma children with learning difficulties. The Roma families who waged a 9-year long court battle over their children’s rights said they had almost given up hope of a verdict in their favour. The ruling is likely to set an important precedent.
The failure of neo-Nazis to march through Prague’s Jewish quarter – and the subsequent skirmishes between skinheads and anarchist demonstrators – have certainly dominated the headlines in recent days. Images of battered and bloodied skinheads being taken away by police were flashed around the world’s media, who described Saturday as a fiasco for the far right. But could next weekend turn into a second instalment?
Six people have been charged following a clash between skinheads and anarchists in Prague city centre on Saturday evening. The clash happened at an illegal demonstration staged by right-wing extremists near Prague’s Jewish Quarter on the anniversary of Kristallnacht – a Nazi pogrom carried out in 1938. On Monday, Czech police revealed that five anarchists and one skinhead would face charges following Saturday’s unrest. According to police, amongst those charged is Petr Kalinovsky, a neo-Nazi who fired an air-pistol into the crowd. The anarchists in question have been charged with assaulting police-officers. One policeman was seriously injured at Saturday’s demonstration, and two further policemen suffered minor injuries. Almost 400 people were detained during Saturday’s unrest.
A march through Prague’s Jewish Quarter planned by neo-Nazi groups – which had been banned, then permitted and then banned again by the authorities – did not happen in the end. Around three thousand people gathered at several places in the former Jewish Town on Saturday to block the march, and the police foiled any attempts of the far-right groups to come near the area. The event ended in isolated clashes between far-right and far-left radicals.
Today in Mailbox: the Czech team's qualification for Euro 2008, author Milan Kundera, plans by a neo-Nazi group to march through Prague's historic Jewish Quarter, response to an interview with Czech-Japanese businessman Tomio Okamura, and the proposed US radar base to be built in the Czech Republic. Listeners quoted: Ted Schuerzinger, Tom Lane, Jana Zimmer, Hanka Stibingerova, Lynda-Marie Hauptman.
1,400 police came out in force in Prague’s historic Jewish quarter as
well as other parts of Prague on Saturday, a day when right-wing radicals
said they would go ahead with a march officially banned by the city.
November 10th marks the anniversary of the Nazi pogrom Kristallnacht,
targeted Jews in Germany in 1938. Prague City Hall made clear from the
start it would break up any unauthorised demonstration. In the end,
neo-Nazi extremists did not gather in the numbers expected; nor did any
tried to break through where police were stationed.
In a televised press conference early Saturday evening, Prague Mayor Pavel
Bem said that the police had done an exemplary job in preventing the march
from going ahead. He also stressed that incidents of violence in areas of
Prague throughout the day had been isolated, and that if it stopped at
he would “be happy”.
According to the mayor, around 1,000 anarchists descended on Prague on Saturday, along with between 300-400 right-wing extremists.
Czech far-right extremists insist on marching through Prague's Jewish
quarter on Saturday, the anniversary of the Nazi pogrom of 1938 known as
Kristallnacht, despite the official ban. Earlier on Thursday, Prague City
Court refused to lift the ban issued by Prague Town Hall. The Jewish
Liberal Union has already reserved the venue for its own event to pay
tribute to the victims of the pogrom and to prevent the neo-Nazis from
marching through the Jewish quarter. Prague Town Hall has declared it will
dissolve the extremists march on the spot.
The Interior Ministry announced on Wednesday that the Czech Republic would be cooperating with other countries ahead of any potential unauthorised demonstration. Some 1,400 police officers will be deployed on Saturday to prevent street fights. There have been suggestions that extremists from neighbouring Slovakia and Germany may try to attend the march.
In related news, the Czech government members assured the Jewish community on Thursday that they consider all form of attacks on its members as completely unacceptable. The director of the Jewish Museum in Prague, Leo Pavlat, said the extremists plan to abuse the Kristallnacht anniversary will eventually have a positive effect, showing that civic society and democratic principles function.
Czech researchers develop top-grade respirator for 3D printing
“I am taking it minute by minute” – Foreigners in the Czech Republic on quarantine and being cut off from their families
A mask-tree as a form of solidarity
Why Chinese masks destined for Italy were seized (not ‘stolen’) by Czech authorities
Coronavirus: Czech scientists focus on role proteins play in spreading COVID-19