The Prague Municipal Court has struck down a city hall ban on a planned neo-Nazi march through the city's historic Jewish quarter. The march has been set to take place on November 10th, the anniversary of Kristallnacht - a notorious Nazi pogrom against Jews in Germany in 1938. It is the second time the court has ruled in the favour of the right-wing extremists, making it likely the march will now take place. In its ruling the court cited serious procedural errors on the part of the city in its attempt to ban the planned event. According to reports, both sides in the case will receive written statements from the court on Wednesday. Prague City Hall has said it is not giving up the fight and will take further steps to prevent the march taking place.
Prague City Hall has seen a setback in its efforts to prevent a group of neo-Nazis from marching through Prague's Jewish Quarter on 10 November, the anniversary of the largest anti-Jewish pogrom in the Third Reich. The Prague Municipal Court has just cancelled a City Hall ban on the controversial planned march; however, officials are still hoping to block the far-right demonstration.
A known neo-Nazi is taking Prague Town Hall to court after it banned a far-right group from marching through the city's Jewish quarter. The demonstration was to have taken place on the anniversary of the notorious Kristallnacht Nazi pogrom. Erik Sedlacek, who first got permission for the march and is now appealing the Town Hall's ban, is known to be associated with the group Narodni odpor (National Resistance).
Neo-Nazi concerts and gatherings of right-wing extremists, as in other parts of Europe, are not uncommon in the Czech Republic, and in the past Czech police have been criticised for not doing enough to prevent such events. But in the last few years, say authorities, the situation has improved. According to statistics by the country's organised crime unit, the number of racist concerts has dropped, one reason why officials were somewhat taken aback by a recent report by the UN. The UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination suggested
An employer who refused to offer Mr. Pavel Sarissky a job, on the grounds of his ethnicity, has been ordered to apologise and fined 50 thousand CZK (2,500 USD) by a Prague court. Ms. Nada Mihailova, the owner of IMAGE-n-west, was found guilty of racist discrimination against Mr. Sarissky, and ordered to pay damages. When Pavel Sarissky applied for a job in her firm in 2005, she rejected his application - telling the employment bureau that it was because he was unwilling to work nights. Mr. Sarissky refuted the allegations, producing a reference from his previous employer as evidence. Ms. Mihailova responded to this by telling Mr. Sarissky that she 'just didn't employ Romanies'. According to the European Monitoring Centre in Vienna, discrimination against the Roma minority in the Czech Republic is widespread, though this is only one of a couple of cases of discrimination in the workplace to have made it to Czech courts.
Prague Town Hall has decided to ban a planned neo-Nazi march through Prague's Jewish quarter; it was originally announced to take place on the 10th of November. That date marks the anniversary of Kristallnacht, the Nazi pogrom against Jews that took place in Germany in 1938. Town Hall officials have said such a march would promote hatred and intolerance towards citizens on the basis of religion or ethnicity. The march was previously given permission as it was officially put forward as a protest against the Czech mission in Iraq. Organizers of the march said earlier this week they planned to postpone the event until November 17th; but the site on that date has already been booked by the Jewish Liberal Union.
The Prague Town Hall has not allowed the neo-Nazi march through Prague's
Jewish quarter which was announced to take place on 17th November, because
the date and the venue has been already booked by the Jewish Liberal Union.
The neo-Nazis would have to choose a different route for their march.
The march was originally scheduled to take place on 10th November. That day marks the anniversary of the Kristallnacht, the Nazi-inspired pogrom on Jews that took place in Germany and Austria in 1938. It has been granted permission by Prague City Hall, whose officials claimed they couldn't ban it as it was officially announced as a protest against the Czech mission in Iraq.
Around 200 far right activists gathered on Saturday afternoon in the town of Kladno in Central Bohemia to commemorate Friday's St. Wenceslas Day. Several dozen police officers accompanied the march to prevent clashes with members of various left-wing movements. One person was detained during the demonstration.
It may sound hard to believe, but a Czech neo-Nazi group has acquired a permit to hold a march through Prague's historic Jewish quarter. What's really incredible is the date the far-right group's demonstration is set to take place: the anniversary of the notorious Nazi pogrom known as Kristallnacht. And to cap it all, the Prague Town Hall seems to have no legal means of stopping the march.
Czech neo-Nazis are planning to march through Josefov, the Prague Jewish Quarter, on 10th November. That day marks the 69th anniversary of the Kristallnacht, the Nazi-inspired pogrom on Jews throughout Germany and Austria that took place in November 1938. According to the daily Hospodarske noviny, the march has been granted permission by Prague City Hall whose officials claim that they could not ban the march as it was officially announced as a protest against the Czech mission in Iraq.
Jana Ciglerová: Americans say their lives are fantastic, Czechs say everything is terrible – neither is true
Czech IT specialists organize “hackathon” to give government online motorway vignette sales system for free
Minister: Czech Republic won’t take in 40 child refugees from Greek camps
CzechTourism head hints attracting tourists no longer agency’s main goal
EU, Russia row over WWII, with Poles and Czechs on front lines