In Magazine: People in Jindřichův Hradec link up to form human Olympic rings, special mobile toilets are travelling around the country within a cancer awareness campaign, Czech trams in Ukraine all head for the Scrap Metal Yard, Czechs have the world’s second prettiest stamp and Špilberk Castle has a new tourist attraction – a night in the dungeon, bad food and forced labour.
The Czech Foreign Ministry has toned down its travel warning for Turkey. The ministry is no longer advising Czechs against travelling to Ankara and Istanbul, although it recommends exercising a high degree of caution. In the case of Ankara the ministry advises putting off all non-essential trips. A warning not to travel to the south-eastern parts of the country remains in place. Tourists visiting other areas have been asked to remain vigilant, avoid large gatherings and crowded places and register with the ministry’s travel data base.
Following the failed military coup in Turkey flights from Prague to Istanbul were cancelled on Saturday. Normal service was soon resumed and the Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs now says that the situation in Turkey is stable. However, officials have issued a fresh call on Czechs in the country to exercise vigilance.
A travel warning for Turkey issued by the Czech Foreign Ministry on Saturday remains unchanged, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Irena Valentová told reporters following Monday’s meeting of a crisis committee set up to monitor developments in the country. The ministry has advised Czechs against travelling to Ankara, Istanbul and south-eastern Turkey. Tourists visiting other areas have been asked to remain vigilant, avoid large gatherings and crowded places and register with the ministry’s travel data base. The helplines for Czech tourists set up over the weekend remain in operation (0090 323 751 387, 0090 532 375 13 87 or 0090 532 244 45 26). Over 500 people are reported to have made use of them so far.
Czech travel agencies say they expect the attack in Nice will result in a further drop in the number of Czech tourists heading for France. According to the Association of Czech Travel Agencies the number of Czech tourists visiting France this summer will be at least 30 percent lower than it was in 2015 when close to 140,000 Czechs visited the country. At present the country’s biggest travel agency Čedok has no package tours in Nice. A package tour heading for France this weekend, which was to have visited Nice, has been offered an alternative route.
Segway operators in Prague are considering legal action if the city’s authorities go ahead with a planned ban on the two-wheeled electric vehicles. A spokesperson for the Segway Association of the Czech Republic, which comprises 25 operators, said it would sue the city for losses incurred. From mid-August Segways should be barred from city centre pavements, cycle paths and pedestrian zones, where they have become a familiar sight in recent years.
Most tourists visiting the Czech capital converge on just a few spots in the city, crowding the streets along the so-called Royal Route that leads from through the Old Town Square to Charles Bridge – missing out on many other interesting places that Prague has to offer. Now, city councillors from the district Prague 7 have decided to change that. Last week they announced their plan to become the city’s new cultural district with an alternative to the Royal Route.
Remnants of medieval wall dating back to 1041 unearthed in Břeclav
Measures taken as over 60 percent of Czech Republic hit by extreme drought
Beer, schnitzel and mushroom picking – unique set of emojis captures Czech soul
Barbora Strýcová, 33, in “best form” ahead of Wimbledon semi-final against Serena Williams
Gene Deitch, Part 1: The Oscar-winning US animator who made Tom and Jerry cartoons in communist Prague